Q: Vacuum hose is off and oil is going fast

asked by on October 22, 2016

So i been putting oil in my car but my oil is going to fast and i dont know why i put oil in and i drive it amd then i open the hood and there no oil in there and the funny part is theres no visable leaks.

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. First you will need to fix the vacuum hose. all vacuum hoses need to be either hooked up or plugged off is not in use. For the oil consumption, check the tail pipe for any heavy soot and any wet oil. If the tail pipe is not oily or has no soot, then there is a leak among the engine. Check the radiator for any milky coolant. This would indicate that the oil is going from the heat exchanger to the radiator. If not, then the valve guide seals in the engine are worn and making the oil go into the combustion chamber and burning off the oil. When this happens, the exhaust may have oil or there will be smoke from the exhaust. If there is nothing wrong with the heat exchanger, then it is possible that the head gasket is burned between the coolant jackets and the oil jackets. Also, remove the cover to the transmission bell housing and check for oil. If there is oil present, then the rear main seal is leaking and needs replaced. If there is no oil, then keep looking around the engine to see signs of leakage. Check the transmission fluid for color change and amount. It is rare, but the oil could be transferring into the transmission through the radiator transmission and heat exchanger cooler. If you need assistance in locating the oil leak, then seek out a technician, as one from YourMechanic, that can assist you with your vehicle.