Q: My car will be in neutral but still stays at 1500 or 2000 rpms while driving

asked by on September 22, 2017

So while I'm driving in 5th gear at 75mph at around 3000rpms my car will occasionally jerk itself forward. I've noticed this to not really be gear or speed specific but at that speed/gear is when I started noticing something was off. Also while I was driving off the highway I tried putting my car in neutral just to see if everything was normal but when I put it in neutral my car would rev down to 1500 or 2000 rpms

There are a number of things that can make a car jerk while you are cruising. Many of them would bring up a check engine light, but there are a few, like fuel pressure problems, that might not. With a car as old as yours, it’s important to be sure that all of the service items are up to date. Plugs, filters etc that have been in service too long can cause a number of drivability issues. As for your idle speed problem, I’m not clear on when that is occurring but you should discuss that with a technician while he is checking out your car. To have your car checked out at your convenience, you can contact YourMechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your jerking MItsubishi and let you know what it is going to take to fix it.