Q: Hello I have a 2004 VW Jetta I believe it's 1.8L Turbocharged and all of a sudden when I start it up and accelerate it makes a rea

It started last night after driving about an hour on the highway. Normally when I drive past 80mph I get a humming noise and yesterday' I was driving as always 75mph down the highway making sure not to go past 80 and once I reached my destination I noticed the louder than usual noise. When I'm accelerating it gets louder. I went to check this morning and when I started it up it was pretty loud and smelled like fumes I'm scared to drive ! Please help

Hi there. Although it’s vital for a mechanic to complete a physical inspection to accurately pinpoint what’s causing this "humming sound" and the gasoline smell, it sounds like you have developed an exhaust leak. In some cases, when the exhaust manifold or exhaust pipes crack, exhaust vapors will smell pretty bad and your engine will be much louder than usual. However, it could also be several other different fuel system components that are causing the problem. I would highly recommend having a mobile mechanic from YourMechanic.com come to your location and complete a car is making a noise inspection first. This will allow them to determine what’s causing your VW’s issues and recommend the right repairs be completed as soon as possible.

• Hello I have a 2004 VW Jetta I believe it's 1.8L Turbocharged and all of a sudden when I start it up and accelerate it makes a rea