Q: will not start - 2008 Volkswagen Touareg

asked by on September 06, 2016

My VW Touareg won't start. When I put in the key the lights and radio turn on. But nothing else comes on? It started fine last time it was driven. What could be wrong with my car?

Hello. Typically when you have power but nothing else turning over it is a starter issue. You can try tapping the starter while you turn the key. If the starter turns over but won’t start, you may have a fuel pump issue. The easiest part to check first is the fuel pump relay in your fuse box. Turn your key to accessory mode and listen for your fuel pump to prime (it will sound like a faint "whirling"). There is also the chance you have enough power from the battery to start your electronics in the car but not make the starter turn. Try jump starting the vehicle and see if this helps. If you are still having trouble, consider having a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the starting issue and let you know what needs repair.