Q: P0442

We have code P0442 keep coming up we changed the gas cap but the still keeps saying tighten gas cap could we have a small leak in the evap system or should we try to replace the gas cap again?

A: As you may already know, this may be relate...

As you may already know, this may be related to a faulty or leaking gas cap, however this can also be related to several other factors such as the following:

• A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand)
  • A small leak/hole in a fuel vapor hose/tube
  • Other small leak in EVAP system
  • Faulty vent o-ring seal
  • Defective vent valve
  • Defective purge valve
  • Defective leak detection pump

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your home to take a closer look at your vehicle’s evaporative emissions system and further diagnose your trouble code.