Q: Why won't my 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier start?

I recently did a head gasket on a 2.2 Chevy cavalier 1996 now it won't start it's like it's flooding spark plugs saturated with fuel the first initial start it's fired right up made some noise and I shut it off then couldn't get it to restart I went inside came back out and hour later and tried again it started but when I let off the gas it shut off. The car will try to start then stop and just turn over

Hello. It sounds like you have an ignition problem. If you are not getting spark then this will occur. I usually check fro spark first. If you have spark then it may not be timed correctly. You may have a failure in the crank sensor which is what the computer uses for timing, or you may have a problem with the cam timing. I would do a compression test to confirm this. If you need some help with this, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why the vehicle will not start] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-is-not-starting-inspection

Hi there. Since the spark plugs are saturated in fuel, they have a faint spark or they are not creating a spark. Check for a spark on the spark plugs and see if they have a solid blue bold spark. If there is no spark, then check the coil pack and see if there is a voltage reference going into the coil. If there is no voltage, then there is an issue with the wiring from the ignition coil to the ECM (computer) or the ECM. If there is a voltage to the ignition coil, then the coil will need replaced. If there is a voltage coming out of the coil, then the spark plugs will need replaced. If you need further assistance with your engine not starting up, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Why won't my 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier start?