Q: Why must your transmition fluid be hot (warm) before yu check it?

Most owners manuals ask, and somthing I have always been told is to check transmition fluid hot, why is that so important?

The reason the fluid should be checked warm is due to the fluid expands as it heats up and also fluid is distributed throughout transmission. The fluid should be check when the transmission it at its operating temperature to make sure it is full when it is operating in its normal heat range. Also it will keep the fluid from being overfilled.