Q: Why is there a squeaking noise after an oil change?

Just changed the oil myself. Engine at idle has a squeaking noise. Sounds like it is a belt thing. Goes away when accelerating. Not sure what to do. Pretty sure I changed the oil with the correct procedure. Drain oil, take old filter out, drain plug in, new filter snapped in cap, new filter cap gasket, replace cap and filter into housing and screw tight, 4.2 qts oil, cap back on top of engine, start car and let run checking for leaks. Did I miss something or do something out of order to case a chirping?

Hi, thanks for writing in. It is possible that you could have accidentally spilled a little bit of oil on your serpentine belt. If this is the case, the noise will eventually go away. If it does not, you can try to using some belt conditioner available at your local auto parts store that may be able to quiet down the noise. If this does not work, unfortunately you may have to replace the serpentine belt in order to get rid of the noise you are hearing. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect this noise for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.