Q: Why is my steering wheel squeaking?

I've been driving my car around at a speed lower than 50mph on a common road. Out of know where my steering wheel began to squeak. I'm pretty sure it's only my steering wheel that is squeaking but I am not sure. I have not had any other issues since I've had this car and for a side note, I am due for an oil change since I just hit my 3 month mark a few days ago and I'm about to hit my 3,000 mile mark.

Hello, thanks for writing in.

A squeaky steering wheel can be caused by a few things. A faulty intermediate shaft, steering coupler, or issues with the power steering system can all cause steering wheel squeaks. The intermediate shaft and steering coupler are both key components to the steering system and squeak if they dry or wear out. The power steering system can also cause squeaks if it runs low on fluid and the pump or gear run dry. I would start by checking the power steering fluid, and then carefully examining the steering system components.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

3. Why is my steering wheel squeaking?