Q: Coolant hose is leaking

The coolant hose looks faulty. There is a leak from the large hose that leads from the radiator to the engine in the top.

A: A cooling system rubber hose may begin to l...

A cooling system rubber hose may begin to leak due to deterioration, or weak hose clamps. Spring-style hose clamps can lose their tension over the years, especially if they have been tampered with during other repairs, or cooling system services. Deterioration from overheating, or from oil finding its way into the coolant, are also common causes; these could uncover a leaking head gasket. Have a trained technician inspect the leak and the rest of the system for signs of a serious problem, or just a weak clamp.