Q: Why is a mechanic telling me he has to flush my throttle body assembly replacement after installing a new one

I think I'm getting robbed after replacing throttle body assembly he then said he has to flush the system at a tune of $250 why he's done it twice now

A: Things like this are most often a product o...

Things like this are most often a product of miscommunication. Not all mechanics are good at communicating what they are doing or what needs to be done with these complicated machines. For this reason, I can’t be certain what exactly is going on, but I can make a few guesses. The throttle body may have coolant hoses running to it. This is common and it helps your car run smoother faster when it is cold. To help your answer this question, check the condition of the cooling system or ask the previous mechanic to give you their assessment. If it is not good, maybe this is what he is flushing - the entire cooling system.

It is possible that there is a lot of carbon build up just inside the throttle body assembly in the intake manifold. It wouldn’t be likely with a 2014 at 50,000 miles, but circumstance could create such a problem. It maybe necessary to remove the intake manifold to do this.

If your not trusting of the mechanic you are using, there is nothing wrong with getting a second opinion. If you do, hopefully your guy won’t get mad about it. This is actually a good test of his character. I for one welcome second opinions. But keep in mind, if the second opinion differs from his, this still doesn’t mean he is a crook. We often get labeled as such because of poor communication about a complicated machine in a complicated industry.

If you should require our assistance, I recommend having another inspection of the throttle body. You can have him finish the install and have someone else take it from there. Be sure to send a note to the technician with YourMechanic explaining the details of what you require.