Q: why engine revs up before final shift when cold

while driving, the transmission shifts fine until the last gear and then tachometer revs up and then last gear shifts. Once the car is warm it will not do it any longer. This is a sealed transmission and is acting like it is low on fluid. How should i proceed without getting ripped off saying my transmission is going bad?

Hi there. I am a former Toyota/Lexus master technician. The transmission you have can be serviced and should have had a service at 100,000 miles: my and many other Toyota technician’s recommendation. However, the concern you have can be attributed as a normal operation due to temperature. Transmission fluid needs to be at manufacturer specific temperatures to properly lubricate the internal components. If the temperature is too cold, the computer may hold the current gear longer and raise the RPM before shifting. This is a normal condition that many of us don’t normally notice until it becomes more obvious. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a shift flare concern inspection.

3. why engine revs up before final shift when cold