Q: Why does the emission inspection failed almost every time its due for DMV inspection?

The car is like new with the low mileage. ( 2003 with 3485 miles) It is barely driven. Why does the emission inspection failed almost every time its due for DMV inspection? One time the Inspector suggested to changed the battery and it passed the inspection. it is only driven for 300 miles a year for 13 years. Does it has something to do with the engine? Thank you.

Hi there:

Honestly, the lack of consistent driving could be the reason why you have frequent emissions issues. If the car does not run frequently and have an opportunity to circulate built up carbon deposits on the inside of the fuel injection system or exhaust system, failed emissions testing may be the result. The best thing to do is to drive your vehicle once or twice per week about a month or so before your emissions testing is needed. Also, it’s a good idea to replace air filters frequently before emissions testing is completed. This article is a good one that helps many car owners learn what they can do to help improve emissions testing.

• Why does the emission inspection failed almost every time its due for DMV inspection?