Q: Why does the emission inspection failed almost every time its due for DMV inspection?

The car is like new with the low mileage. ( 2003 with 3485 miles) It is barely driven. Why does the emission inspection failed almost every time its due for DMV inspection? One time the Inspector suggested to changed the battery and it passed the inspection. it is only driven for 300 miles a year for 13 years. Does it has something to do with the engine? Thank you.

3. Why does the emission inspection failed almost every time its due for DMV inspection?