Q: My truck is overheating, I hear it hissing and I see steam too.

When I notice my truck overheating, I look under the hood and see steam coming from the area where the big hose from the top side of the radiator meets the engine; somewhere under the air filter. It's hissing too the whole time. I noticed there is a lot more pressure in that top hose also, its much harder to squeeze for example, even when I turn off the engine. So my question is what part is causing the problem? I don't know what I'll have to replace.

Hello, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to help.

Steam from the engine is usually a sign of a small cooling system leak. I would recommend taking a close look at the area where the steam appears to be coming from, to see if you can identify where exactly the leak is located. ] It may be possible that a hose, gasket, or water outlet may need to be replaced. A hard top radiator hose can be considered normal, as it holds cooling system pressure. It will eventually soften as the temperature and pressure of the cooling system go down, as the engine cools off.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make any repairs as needed.