Q: Q: Engine Locked

My son has a 2014 Cadillac ATS. He bought it used on 08/18/17 with 17,960 miles on it. Unfortunately, it shut down on him but we were able to get it started and back to the dealership who stated that it had no oil. They did whatever and stated that it was 100% again. It shut completely off again a week later but this time would not start back up. It was towed to Cadillac and they said the engine was locked. What does this mean?

Hello, thank you for writing in. When the engine is locked up, it means that it is stuck in place for one reason or another, and it will not rotate like it normally does. This is directly related to the oil being depleted. These parts that need lubrication rub against each other and get very, very hot. Often, if the temperatures get hot enough, the piston will literally melt to the cylinder walls. The crankshaft can break, seize, and melt into the pistons as well. The only way to determine exactly what has failed, is to take the engine apart and inspect the components inside. You guys are looking at an expensive situation unfortunately, and you should seek professional help. For an inspection from our technicians, contact our service department.

3. Q: Engine Locked