Q: I can hear a rattling noise under my hood close to the outside of the motor

My car has a leaking oil pan and i can hear rattling but would that oil pan cause that rattling also compared to like vibration of music what is that ?

A: Hey there. I would not expect anything in o...

Hey there. I would not expect anything in or around the oil pan itself to make rattling noises that might be considered musical. Heat shields for exhaust manifolds and other metal brackets and shielding can make lots of rattling noises, as can splash shields. If the noise is directly related to the engine running, look for loose metal connected to the engine.

If the noises only occurs when hitting a bump, or turning, check for loose brackets or links connected to steering or suspension components. If you would like to have this looked at by a professional, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the rattling noise and assist with repairs.