Q: What Causes Car Hoses to Swell Up?

asked by on November 20, 2015

What causes car hoses to swell up?

Radiator and heater hoses are the most commonly overlooked maintenance items on a vehicle. Since most deterioration starts from the inside, it is very easy for amateur and professional people to not see an upcoming failure.

Automotive hoses are made of rubber. Rubber hoses are used to handle multiple types of fluids, with different pressures.

Most articles found on this subject focus on the actual rubber hose itself breaking down from age, heat, or extended exposure to heat and pressure. Motor oil or power steering leaks can also cause the rubber to swell and become weak. It’s a good idea to check your hoses for any cracks or swelling before a much greater issue arrises.