Why does my car jerk when shift gear? Jerk harder on 3 an...

Q: Why does my car jerk when shift gear? Jerk harder on 3 and 4 gear.

asked by on July 05, 2017

After my alternator and battery die. My car start to jerk when shift gear. Jerk harder on 3 and 4 gear.

This may be a result of low transmission fluid or potentially a faulty transmission control module. A faulty transmission control module may cause a delay in acceleration or erratic shifting of gears. The transmission control module has various sensors such as vehicle speed sensors, wheel speed sensors, throttle position sensors, turbine speed sensor, and transmission fluid temperature sensors that all direct information to it in order for it to perform it’s function. Other functions controlled by the TCM are components such as a kick down switch, traction control system, and cruise control module. Any of these may also affect the way the transmission control module performs and controls the transmission and the shifting of your vehicle. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to your location to properly diagnose your transmission problem.