Q: White Smoke coming from underneath hood, Car is also overheating

My Gf called me this morning saying white smoke was coming from the hood of her car and the temp gauge was as hot as it would go. She went to a gas station and someone helped her put coolant in. What kind of problem are we looking at? She sent me a pic of underneath the hood and it looks like a white powdery residue is there as well

If the engine has a leaking water pump or stuck thermostat or other leaks and engine was ran until the temperature went all the way to hot then it may have damaged the engine cylinder head gasket and head and will need to have cooling system and engine pressure tested to isolate cause of overheating and damage resulted from the overheating condition.

3. White Smoke coming from underneath hood, Car is also overheating