Q: Thick white smoke coming out of tailpipe

My car overheated and now I have thick white smoke coming out of the tailpipe.

A: Hi there. White smoke is an indicator that ...

Hi there. White smoke is an indicator that coolant is getting into the combustion chamber and exiting out the tail pipe. When you overheated the engine, the cylinder head gaskets blew and the head or block might have cracked from the high temperature conditions. A thorough inspection of the overheating problem would need to be done by a qualified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, to determine the extent of the problem.