Q: Whistling when the car is turned off, throbbing hum at 80+mph

My car has been running fine, but there are some issues that started happening recently. There is this high-pitched sound that I can hear when the engine is turned off. It is a very noticeable whistling noise. Also, when I drive at speeds over 80 mph, I can hear the throbbing hum that is high pitched and seems to be coming from the right front wheel. Do you have any advice what to check? Thank you.

A: Hello. It sounds like you have a few issues...

Hello. It sounds like you have a few issues here. The noise that occurs when the vehicle is turned off typically comes from one of the engine’s accessories. It can also come from a timing belt issue, such as the tensioner.

I typically remove the engine drive belt to see if the noise goes away. If it does, then it is an accessory. If not, I inspect the timing belt components.

As for the other noise, that is typically caused by a failing hub bearing. When the bearing starts to fail it sounds like this. If you are going to have these repaired, consider reaching out to a certified mechanic who can come pinpoint and fix the sounds you’re experiencing.