Q: Whistling when the car is turned off, throbbing hum at 80+mph

My car has been running fine, but there are some issues that started happening recently. There is this high-pitched sound that I can hear when the engine is turned off. It is a very noticeable whistling noise. Also, when I drive at speeds over 80 mph, I can hear the throbbing hum that is high pitched and seems to be coming from the right front wheel. Do you have any advice what to check? Thank you.

Hello. It sounds like you have a few issues here. The noise that occurs when the vehicle is turned off typically comes from one of the engine’s accessories. It can also come from a timing belt issue, such as the tensioner.

I typically remove the engine drive belt to see if the noise goes away. If it does, then it is an accessory. If not, I inspect the timing belt components.

As for the other noise, that is typically caused by a failing hub bearing. When the bearing starts to fail it sounds like this. If you are going to have these repaired, consider reaching out to a certified mechanic who can come pinpoint and fix the sounds you’re experiencing.

3. Whistling when the car is turned off, throbbing hum at 80+mph