Q: Engine misfire on all cylinders

I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey that I just bought a couple of days ago. The engine light has started blinking so I checked the codes it says engine misfire on all cylinders. When the van idles it sometimes revs up to a high rpm then goes back down and starts to stall. When driving it, it has a major loss of power and takes a lot of acceleration to get it to go. Spark plugs have been replaced. What could be causing this?

The actual codes would be needed to steer you in a precise direction. Generally, global misfires are a consequence of a major fuel and/or air induction system issue. Your vehicle has individual spark plug coils so that is not likely to be the issue unless the PCM coil driver is bad but that is rare (and is the last thing to check). If the check engine light is flashing when you are presently driving the car that requires immediate repair because the misfiring that is represented by that flashing light has the potential to damage the catalytic converter which can result in additional costly repairs. Carefully check the EGR system and intake air leaks. If EGR is stuck open you can get global misfiring. Check integrity of PCV system. The fuel system, including the possibility of leaking injectors, needs to be ruled out including the mundane possibility that you have a tankful of bad gasoline. The actual fuel system pressure and output should be tested and verified against factory specifications. If you want these steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a misfiring diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Engine misfire on all cylinders