Q: My car changes gears while driving

asked by on February 09, 2016

When I start my car in the morning and put it into Drive or Reverse, it does nothing and then will go into gear. It changes gears while driving.

It sounds like the transmission has delayed engagement. After the engine is started, how long do you wait until you put it in gear? As cars get older and racks up more miles, it never hurts to let the car idle for a minute before you move. This being said, after being put it in gear it shouldn’t take longer than 2 seconds to engage. It shouldn’t bang into gear, and you shouldn’t have to apply the accelerator for it to engage. Check the fluid level of the transmission. Low fluid can cause this. Do not add any if the level is ok. Resetting the adaptive values can cure this sometimes. This can be done on KIA’s by disconnecting the battery overnight. It could be more serious though and be an indication that something is malfunctioning. This can be a dangerous issue if left un-repaired. I recommend having a mechanic inspect your gear shifting problem to ensure your safety on the road.