Q: Whining when in gear - 2007 Dodge Nitro

Whining noise when driving. I jacked car up and once I put it in gear there is a whining coming from under. Can't pinpoint if it's in the drivetrain or gear box. With tires off ground i put it in gear I hear it and not when idling. When shifting to higher gears it gets louder and more prominent. I checked rear diff fluid and it's full only. Also last few months the shift knob has been popping of gear sometimes at take off.

The noise you are hearing is coming from the transmission and is most likely the internal bearings of the of the output shaft. You should have the problem verified by a mechanic and have fluids checked to be full in the transmission. If it ran low on fluid, then permanent bearing damage and gear wear would be present. The transmission would need to be removed and overhauled to replace damaged bearings and gears. If you’d like to have this problem scoped out, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your location to inspect the whining sound in person and advise on repairs.

3. Whining when in gear - 2007 Dodge Nitro