Q: Whining noise from the rear, very loud now

I drive a 2009 Toyota RAV4 that began making a whining noise somewhere in the rear at about 30,000 miles. This was disappointing but overall it didn’t affect the ride or drivability of the car. I drove it until I hit 41,000 miles and that’s when the noise got unbearable. It gets higher pitched the faster I go now. What’s happening back there?

This is a problem with the rear differential making a growling noise as you increase speed. The issue was identified by Toyota and addressed in technical service bulletin TSB-0080-13, dated June 2013. The NHTSA has also published a safety bulletin #10052631 that addresses this issue as well. If you take a copy of the Toyota TSB to any Toyota dealership they should repair it for you, though the cost is unknown since it is not a recall. Take care of this issue as soon as you can, continued driving will result in more damage to the rear differential and will likely increase the repair cost as well.

3. Whining noise from the rear, very loud now