Q: whether to buy a new car

my car is in excellent condition...all maintenance done diligently...........I travel to Canada each year and put on at least 5000 miles getting there and back.......do you think I might, at this mileage, have something major break down on me perhaps on my way up there........should I at this mileage be thinking of a new car.........I love this car!.......this is a Florida car..............have had absolutely no major problems yet..........

Whether to replace a car, even one that has been giving you trouble, is always a hard decision. But when everything is going well, it can even seem foolish. At 141,000 though, anything can happen on any car no matter how well it is maintained. If you have a trained ear, you will notice most of your driveline problems creeping up long before they happen, but if you’re like most people, by the time you notice the tell tale noises, you’re far away from home and your trip is interrupted by car trouble. With the kind of driving you do, I’d say if you can afford to replace the car without putting yourself in a spot, do it. It’s worth the extra money not to find yourself stranded out on some long empty road. Many people in the business will tell you the formula is to compare your repair and maintenance costs to the cost of car payments and go for the better deal. It seems logical. But you have to keep in mind that breakdowns can happen at very inconvenient times with indeterminate costs. At least with the car payments, you know exactly how much they are and when they will fall due so you can plan for them.

3. whether to buy a new car