Q: When SUV is off, in gear & exited, it starts rolling

When I turn off the engine while it is in gear and exit my SUV, it will start rolling away. Whether it’s forward or backward - both ways it will start rolling. (With the push start button, this is easy to do.) This has happened two different times to me and each time it almost caused a serious accident. The shocking thing is that I talked to GM and they told me that this is normal. What!! Can you give me your advice on how to fix this problem?

A: Hi there. If it is still on gear then it is...

Hi there. If it is still on gear then it is going to roll. The only gear that you can put the vehicle in and it will not roll would be in park. This is the only gear that locks the vehicle in place. I'd suggest getting this looked at by a mechanic if your car rolls while in park or if shifting to park doesn't work. A certified technician can help you diagnose the issue with your gears and make the necessary repairs.