I have a 2012 equinox and it is rattling upon acceleratio...

Q: I have a 2012 equinox and it is rattling upon acceleration and kind of rough idleing when stopped

asked by on May 03, 2017

My equinox seems to go thru a lot of oil, just had changed about 6 weeks ago, Rattling noise when accelerating and a little rough idle at times when stopped I just got new brakes and rotors, noise has been going on for a while. what could it be?

In practice, oil consumption varies quite a bit, so much so that there is no agreement on what is excessive. As a "general" rule though, if an engine uses a quart of oil or more in 1,500 miles, that’s excessive. If you believe your engine’s oil consumption is too high and want the cause identified by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an oil leak/consumption diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will identify the root cause of the problem for you. Obviously, you could have internal or external leaks, or both.

The causes of rattling on acceleration are varied but in your circumstance could be pinned down in a vehicle noise diagnostic. Causes include motor mount defects, loose parts and faults in components driven by the serpentine belt. There are many other causes though.

Common causes of rough idling include uneven cylinder compression, vacuum leaks, an air induction fault such as a stuck idle air control valve or a faulty throttle position sensor, problems with the mass air flow sensor, defective spark plugs, a weak coil and defective oxygen sensor(s). If you desire that this problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, please request a rough idle diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.