Q: When should I get my coolant flushed?

I bought my car used and they flushed it at 49,000 miles but didnt tell how long to wait til next time I need it

A: Most auto manufacturers and coolant manufac...

Most auto manufacturers and coolant manufacturers recommend flushing and replacing the coolant once every two years. This is more a reflection of the number of "heating the engine and cooling it back down" cycles occurring in your vehicle than mileage.

Over time, the coolant mixture becomes contaminated and can clog the cooling system components. A cooling system flush essentially flushes out contaminants from the entire system and replaces the coolant mixture with fresh coolant and water. Changing the coolant also renews the water pump lubricant in the coolant itself.

Get a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to flush your car’s cooling system as per the recommended service schedule.