Q: Cooling fan stays on too long

My engine cooling fan stays on for at least 15 minutes after I park, and it's very loud. I can hear it from a few feet away. How serious of a problem is this?

You are right to be concerned, as this amount of time could drain the car’s battery, which would leave you having to jump-start your car.

It’s normal for some vehicles to have a fan run for a few minutes after the car is shut off, generally to keep the engine cool. However, if the fan is running for an extended period, the fan itself can become damaged due to overuse. These fans are designed to only cycle on and off when needed, and running continuously will shorten its lifespan.

Most electric fans in modern cars have modules that tell them when to turn on and off. It’s possible you may have a module or relay failing in your car. Have a mechanic inspect the electrical portion of your cooling system to be sure it’s running correctly.