Q: When shifting into 1st gear and attempting to take off, car shakes and then stalls. Car also won't let me shift into reverse.

My car seems to "choke" and shakes when launching in first gear. I can take off slowly in 2nd gear fine without any of the vibrating or noise coming from the engine. I'm also not able to engage reverse, the car moves forward as if it were stuck in 4th instead of shifting to reverse. Could this be this shift linkage? Or possibly the transmission? From what j can tell the car runs fine and pulls healthy in any other gear but I just can't figure it out and I want advice before taking it to a mechanic. I appreciate the help in advance, thank you.

Hi there. Either the shifter rail is damaged inside the transmission keeping the gears from going into reverse and the first gear from connecting all the way, or the transmission first and reverse gears are damaged causing the transmission to have a hesitation on the forward 1st gear and no reverse. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your transmission shifting issue.

3. When shifting into 1st gear and attempting to take off, car shakes and then stalls. Car also won't let me shift into reverse.