Q: How does the active park assist system work?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How does the active park assist system work?

Parallel parking is no fun, even if you’re an experienced veteran. If your car has the active park assist (APA) system, then you’ve got some extra help to make the process easier. This is an automated system that actually scans for open spaces, and then steers the car for you (you’ll need to work the gas, the brakes and the gearshift). Here’s how to work it:

1. Press the APA control switch.

2. You should see a notification in the message center that reads “Active park searching”.

3. Use your turn signals to tell the computer what side of the road you want to park on (it will automatically search on the right side if you don’t indicate differently).

4. Keep your speed at 18 MPH or less.

5. Drive as parallel as possible to the open spaces.

6. When the system detects an open spot, it will alert you with a notification in the message center that reads “Space found pull forward”.

7. Drive forward until the message changes to “Space found stop”. You’ll also hear an audible chime.

8. Once you stop, the message will change to “Remove hands put in reverse”. Take your hands off the wheel and put the car in reverse.

9. Once you drop the transmission into reverse, the car will automatically begin steering (keep your hands off the wheel).

10. Follow the message center instructions to park in the space.

11. When the tone sounds again, stop and put the car in drive.

12. When you hear the tone again, stop and put the transmission back into reverse.

13. When the parking is done, you’ll see a message reading “Active park finished”.

Tips

• Grabbing the steering wheel will cancel active parking.

• Anything passing between the front bumper and the open space will cancel active parking.

• The system will not work if the edge of the front vehicle is far from the ground (a tow truck or similar).

• Press the APA switch to turn active parking off at any time.