Q: Q: Squealing brakes

I have replaced the brake rotors and brake pads and it's been weeks and they're still squeaking. Do I have to get rotors shaved , is there something else I could try, or is it something else altogether?

Hello. Your brakes can make noise for any number of reasons. The noise may even be coming from another part of the vehicle. If the noise occurs anytime the vehicle is moving then you may actually have a failing hub bearing or an axle problem. However, if the noise only occurs when applying the brakes then it is more than likely a brake issue.

If you have only replaced the front or the rear brakes then the noise may be coming from the brakes that were not replaced. If all of the brakes have been replaced, then you either have poor quality parts or they may need some lubrication. Installing the wrong type of brake pads (example: ceramic, organic, semi metallic) will also cause noise since your vehicle is made for a specific type of brake part.

Noise will also occur if the brake pads are binding. A small amount of silicone brake grease should be applied to the back side of the brake pads and to the brake pad clips where the pads mount into them. That should help alleviate the noise. If you wanted to have this looked at in person, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your brake noise.

3. Q: Squealing brakes