Q: When I turn on my car my gaugecluster backlights do not work.

I get inside my car and turn my engine on I cannot turn on my gauge cluster backlights. I can see the turn signals, my headlights, taillights, brake lights, and the emergency warning lights but not the gauge cluster lights or the lights on the center console (AC lights). I turned on and the dimmer switch as well but nothing works. Please help.

This may be related to a short, a faulty gauge cluster or a faulty instrument cluster voltage regulator. The instrument voltage regulator regulates the voltage supplied to the various gauges in your vehicle’s dash. When this is not working properly, this may cause the gauges in your dash to dim or flicker erratically or in some cases provide false readings. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace your instrument voltage regulator.