Q: When I turn at low speed the steering makes noise

I am sure that the steering in my 2007 Toyota RAV4 has something seriously wrong with it. At around 55,000 miles into owning the car, it starts to sounds kinda clicky or creaky when turning at low speed. This really wasn’t too much of a problem, but now steering is becoming more and more difficult and the sound it a nasty clunk. This car is not that old so if I end up having to replace some big steering part I am not gonna be too happy. Is there something wrong with the power steering?

Technical Service Bulletin T-SB-0318-08 (Rev2, dated April 16, 2012) specifically addresses this issue and the fix is a redesigned steering intermediate shaft. It is recommended that you take your vehicle to the Toyota dealership to address this issue, reference T-SB-0308-08 which refers to a newly designed steering gear which can also improve the reliability of the steering systems. Continuing to drive this vehicle will likely result in further damage to the steering system as well as increased difficulty in driving. Because it is a TSB and not a recall, do not expect a free repair, though some dealerships might offer it as a goodwill gesture. This is not specifically a power steering issue but a general steering issue.