Q: When I start up my car, it makes a rattling noise that continues as I drive.

I bought a used 2005 Nissan Altima 6 months ago, and just recently (2-3 weeks), it has started to make a rattling noise when I start it up that continues as I drive. It is sometimes loud and sometimes soft, and when I accelerate, the noise seems to get louder. The engine temperature does not increase, and the oil has been checked and is fine. What is the problem?

Hi there. This is a common problem with your car. It is a timing chain problem. The timing chain wears out and stretches causing this. It requires that the front timing cover be removed and all of the timing components need to be replaced to repair this. Have a professional mechanic assist you in making this repair.

• When I start up my car, it makes a rattling noise that continues as I drive.