Q: 2011 Ford Taurus RPMs drop when windows are rolled up

asked by on November 29, 2017

So the gas gauge isnt matching the miles to E in my car....I just realized when I roll both my driver and passanger side windows up my rpms are dropping below the 1....what could this be?? Maybe an electrical issue??

A slight drop is RPMs is normal. The windows are operated by an electric motor, which draws from the alternator. As for the gas gauge, that’s probably normal, too. I’m assuming you’re calculating your fuel range manually, using the trip meter or equivalent. The gas gauge isn’t exact and won’t match your calculations dead-on. My guess is your car is just fine. If you really feel there’s a problem, I suggest you have your vehicle diagnosed firsthand by a professional. YourMechanic is an excellent option since we come to your home or office.