Q: Ticking sound on drivers side

Had timing belt and water pump changed on 2006 sequoia limited, 4 valves on drivers side also worked on. Now vehicle makes a ticking sound. Sound diminishes after it gets warmed up but still present. Sound sounds like a lifter problem. Since valves we're worked on. I'm worried, my vehicle has never had this annoying sound. Sounds like a diesel engine. I get no error lights, drives well, no noticeable loss of vehicle power. I've taken it back twice. Mechanic shop keeps telling me they did valve job correctly. What is my most likely problem and what should I do? Should I file a complaint with the BAR and consumer affairs? Should I worry?

Deficiencies of various types can cause lifter and valve train noise, including ticking noises. The bottom line is if the ticking noise did not exist at all prior to their work on the valve train, but occurred immediately at the conclusion of their work, logically that means that they did something wrong (typically that would be not following the repair instructions) and consequently it is their responsibility to get the problem repaired. As far as how to enforce your rights, that is a matter that is somewhat more complex than mechanical repairs and the specifics will depend on the state and locale you reside in. It also depends on your creativity and resoluteness. First of all, if you paid by credit card, simply dispute the transaction and follow the card issuer procedure. If that avenue is not available to you, and you are determined to be made whole, use a graduated approach. Explain to the shop that the noise simply did NOT exist, period, prior to the work and thus the simple application of logic means that (barring exceptional coincidences, of course) their work is the CAUSE of the problem; consequently, they will have to correct the problem. If they refuse to resolve it, send a certified letter demanding a refund (of course, a mere refund may not be sufficient to make you whole, if the cost to re-do the job is more than the refund). If you do not receive a refund by a date certain, file complaints with the Attorney General’s office, the BBB, and any state licensing agencies that have jurisdiction over the conduct of the business. If in the course of this you desire a second opinion, you can request an engine noise diagnostic from a YourMechanic specialist. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Ticking sound on drivers side