Q: When hitting a puddle, car died & had buzzing noise

Two weeks ago I hit a puddle when I couldn’t merge over into another lane. My car immediately died and had a terrible buzzing sound coming from the right kick panel. I learned later that it was the car’s computer and an EGI fuse had blown. I replaced that fuse and then let it idle for 15 minutes. It was fine during that idling time and I then drove for 2 miles thinking the problem was fixed. However, it blew another one and I had to have it towed to the house. Now, when I replace the fuse, as soon as it goes to ACC, the fuse blows without even trying to start. Plus, the same buzzing happens. I am thinking that either the water caused a short somewhere or it is drawing too much current. I just don’t know where to begin looking outside a new computer. If it’s going to be a major fix, then perhaps I should buy something else, but I’d prefer to fix it. Can you give me any insight as to what will fix this problem?

A: Hi. Thanks for writing in about your 1996 N...

Hi. Thanks for writing in about your 1996 Nissan 240SX. It is likely that you have some stationary water on top of one of the circuits or inside of one of the connectors causing the fuses to blow. I wouldn’t buy another car unless you find out that something expensive is fried.

Right now it just sounds like you have some stationary water between two terminals that is causing a short. I would suggest thoroughly unplugging and examining all of the plugs in the area where you believe the water may have splashed. Any connectors you see that are wet dry them out and or leave them hanging out to dry overnight. If you need help getting this checked, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your vehicle’s electrical system.