Q: Wheels will not turn full left or full right.

My power steering pump is hooked up but not being driven by the motor there is fluid in the system. My wheels will not turn completely to the left or right. Would this be because the pump is not hooked up? Or is there possibly another issue?

Hello, thanks for writing in. Depending on the vehicle, if there is no power steering pressure then it can keep the wheel from turning all the way in one direction. The closer the wheels get to the end of their travel, the harder they are to move. It may also be something else like a failing ball joint (front or end) or tie rod end. I usually check for anything binding prior to anything else.

If you would like help inspecting and repairing this issue, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to perform the inspection and necessary repairs for you.

3. Wheels will not turn full left or full right.