Q: Wheel bearings fail & new part can not be found

On the passenger side, the wheel bearings keep going out. Already, I have replaced them four times on the passenger side, plus replaced the driver’s side wheel bearings and now have no problem on the driver’s side. I was thinking it might be a bad spindle, but I can not find a new spindle anywhere. My van is a cargo van rwd. The parts that I found are for an awd and 4x4, which is not what I need. For more details, I greased the bearing and made certain that it got in the cracks. The only thing left that I can think of is the spindle. One time while driving 70 mph, it went out and I pulled off the nearest exit and the whole tire literally fell off. All that was left on the spindle were a nut, washer, and car key. I can hunt for a whole piece at a parts place, but I prefer to find a new one. Can you tell me where I can find a new one?

Hello. I’m assuming you are talking about the front bearings. Greasing and adjusting the wheel bearings is sort of an art. If you don’t get it right, you can have repeat failures. Search for a video of how to pack wheel bearings. Also, if the bearings come with a new race you need to install the new race with the new bearing. If you don’t, the bearing will not ride properly and fail.

When tightening the spindle nut, tighten it until there is no play in the bearings when you shake the wheel. Then loosen the nut. Tighten the nut just a little past hand tight. There should now be play in the tire when you shake it. Spin the wheel and make sure it spins freely. After driving a few miles, recheck the tire to make sure there is no play in the bearings and you should be good. Also, make sure to put a lot of grease between the bearings in the rotor.