Q: My 2002 Saturn Vue's rpms started revving into 4-5k when up shifting. Later that day the clutch went out. Now the starter is out.

asked by on May 02, 2017

My friend was driving my 2002 Saturn Vue's when the rpms started revving into 4-5k while up-shifting. I noticed but chalked it up to my friend adjusting to my car's sensitivity. Later that day the clutch went out while we were in a mountianous pass. There were no noticeable smells and id not had this issue before. The car wouldnt start after he turned off the engine. Now the starter is out completely. I get lights when i turn the key but only a sad, low whine when I try to start it. I have taken very good care of the car but the previous owner had not. I put about 30k miles on it last year and replaced the alternator 8 months ago. Is it toast? I feel like it's not worth replacing the parts because its an older Saturn. Should I scrap it?

Hello, thank you for writing in. The decision to invest in an older car is difficult, even more so when you do not have the car in front of you. A failed clutch can interfere with the flywheel causing the vehicle to have issues starting. From the sound of it, there is extra resistance on the starter keeping it from spinning. Since you know the clutch is bad, you need to start there. If the starter had no issues prior, this may have stressed it out and caused it to wear down. You may want to keep an eye on it, even if it starts after replacing the clutch. Regarding the choice to do the work or not, consider the price of labor and parts to what you would be able to get for it in current condition. Punching numbers may give you further insight. For more help with the clutch, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.