Q: What precautions should be taken with the front passenger occupant classification system?

What precautions should be taken with the front passenger occupant classification system?

A: Your car has a front passenger occupant cla...

Your car has a front passenger occupant classification system that’s responsible for determining if there’s a passenger in the front seat, and if that passenger is adult sized or not. However, there are several things you (and your passengers) should know about how this system work and some precautions that must be taken:

• Always sit as far back in the seat as possible.

• Don’t lean to the side, as this can throw off the sensing system.

• The seat belt should always be worn.

• Don’t place heavy items in the seat.

• Don’t place heavy items in the seatback pocket (this can cause false readings).

• Don’t put anything under the passenger front seat.

• Don’t recline the seatback all the way (which lets it touch the back seat). This will turn on the air bag Off light and deactivates the air bags.

• If an adult passenger is in the front seat but the air bag Off light is on, make sure they are situated correctly.