Q: Q: Car won't shift into park

My 96 blazer won't shift into park. It turns on while in neutral. It reverses and drives but it just won't shift into park so I have to park it in neutral. This problem just popped up last night and i don't know what to do.

It is possible that your shift lock solenoid has failed in the lock position. This solenoid is what allows the shifter to be moved only when the brakes are applied. When the brake pedal is depressed and the lock solenoid is working properly, you will often hear a small click sound. That click sound is the lock solenoid releasing the shifter so that it can be moved out of park. If the lock solenoid failed in the lock position, this would prevent the shifter from going out of park or going back into park depending on what gear it was in when it failed. Consider YourMechanic as your shift lock solenoid can be replaced from your home or office.

3. Q: Car won't shift into park