Q: What materials do you need to do an oil and oil filter change?

asked by on February 20, 2017

Materials such as a funnel, wrench, etc.

Change Oil and Filter $92.43 - $157.60 Get a Quote

In order of importance, you need safety glasses, nitrile gloves (or like gloves that will effectively keep used oil off your skin), a low capacity torque wrench (to re-tighten the drain plug typically to 18 ft. lbs., but see your service manual), a drain plug socket and wrench handle, an appropriate filter removal tool and, depending on the location of the filter, a hydraulic jack, and steel jack stands, to raise the car enough to get the filter out. If you are interested in learning the process, you can request an oil/filter change and observe first hand how it’s done and then if it is to your liking you can perform the oil/filter changes on your own going forward. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.