Q: My 2006 dodge dakota has stared making a clunking or poping noise when i turn

asked by on October 24, 2017

my truck has started making a clunking or popping noise when I turn in any direction. I just replaced the tie rods and lower ball joints about a year ago. I have tried testing for play but don't feel anything that I can notice. I did notice that one of the lower ball joints rubber boot seems to be broken and the grease is coming out

If the rubber boot on the ball joint is torn, that boot, or the entire assembly, should be replaced promptly as the ball joint will deteriorate quickly if exposed to the elements, dirt, and so forth. You can schedule a repair using YourMechanic’s ball joint service page. A common cause of clunking in the circumstances you describe is a faulty outer CV joint. Such can often be detected on visual exam and with simple tests. Failure of the outer CV joints will cause audible clicking or clunking on turns. If the rubber boots are torn on the driveshafts (especially on the outer CV joints), that is typically an indication that there is a CV axle failure. If you request a front axle noise diagnostic, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic will evaluate all of the possibilities and resolve this for you. If the CV axle is defective, YourMechanic does remove and replace CV axles on a mobile basis. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.