Q: What does the tachometer tell you?

What does the tachometer tell you?

The gauges in the center of your dash provide you with some pretty important information. The tachometer is designed to show you how fast your engine is turning, which is measured in revolutions per minute, or RPM. Note that this is tied to vehicle speed, but is not the same. It’s more closely related to transmission operation.

The gauge shows a ring of numbers from 0 to 8, measured in 1,000s. For instance, if the needle were sitting at the 3 mark, it would mean that your engine was turning 3,000 times per minute.

If the needle edges into the red zone, it means that the engine is starting to turn dangerously fast. Take your foot off the gas, or shift to a higher gear to slow it down. It may also indicate a problem with the transmission.

3. What does the tachometer tell you?