Q: What does the Safety Belt light on the dash mean?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What does the Safety Belt light on the dash mean?

Seat belts are by far the most important safety feature in your car. They’re deemed absolutely critical, and are actually the only “lifesaving” apparatus installed in the car. Even your air bags aren’t rated as “lifesaving” by the US government, but your seat belts are!

It’s normal for the Safety Belt light to turn on in the dash when you first crank the engine. It will stay on until the driver, and front passenger as well, have buckled up. You’ll also hear a chime/beep – that’s the Belt-Minder® system turning on to tell you that someone’s not buckled up.