Q: What does the Anti-lock Brake light on the dash mean?

What does the Anti-lock Brake light on the dash mean?

You have two lights on the dash that tie into your braking system. One is the brake light itself. The other is the Anti-lock Brake (ABS) light.

The ABS light should come on briefly when you start the engine. It should go out after the system conducts its self-check. However, if the light doesn’t go out or if it starts flashing, it means there is a problem with the system. ABS will be disabled until you have the car inspected and repaired.

Tip

If the ABS system is disabled, you still have normal braking capabilities. The ABS system does not control your regular brakes. It simply provides assistance during certain hard stops to prevent locking up your wheels and going into a skid.

3. What does the Anti-lock Brake light on the dash mean?