Q: Scraped a small layer off of my tire wall; should I be worried?

I was driving down and turning left onto a a street with a perpendicular curb; I heard a slight bang when the tire connected but when I checked it afterwards the damage seemed to be not too bad. The metal frame of the tire was scratched up but not significantly, and not at all at the point of connection between metal and tire. There was also a pretty small layer of tire scratched off near the frame. An iPhone 6 with a life proof case is shown to be related for scale.

The album is linked below:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7p_Do8ouA31TEQxb05HRF9fZXM

Sorry in advance if I'm not using mechanic terms; this is the first time I've really gotten anything screwed up and I don't really know much about automotive mechanics.

The car is a 2014 or 2015 Honda Accord, with around 7 to 8 thousand miles on it, give or take 2 or 3. I was going 25 to 30 mph.

Thanks so much for your help.

A: I would talk to the insurance company if yo...

I would talk to the insurance company if you have full coverage with a low deductible so you can get the rim and tire replaced. If you decide to not go with the insurance route then you should at least replace the tire. Any kind of side wall tire damage can be dangerous since it can lead to tire failure when you least expect it. The side walls of a tire are only about 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch thick and from what it looks like you went through a good amount of it. The pictures were great and showed the damage very clearly. I’d recommend getting the tire replaced and the rim as well if insurance covers it. If you have a lease vehicle you will get charged for it when you return the car.